Human Resources Administration

Burial Assistance provided by New York City Human Resources Administration

Financial assistance for residents of the 5 boroughs of New York City (NYC) for burial costs. The Human Resources Administration (HRA) will pay up to $900 towards a funeral which costs no more than $1,700. The cost of cremation or grave and grave opening charges are excluded, however, the cost of burying the cremains (ashes), after cremation is not excludable in calculating the $1,700 limitation. If the total funeral bill exceeds the amount of $1,700, HRA will make no payment. HRA will provide financial assistance to individuals in need of assistance to meet funeral expenses. These funds are available when an indigent resident of NYC dies who may have been in receipt of Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Cash Assistance (CA), or no public benefits at all, without leaving funds to cover their burial expenses and there are no Legally-Responsible Relatives (LRR) or friends willing or able to pay the funeral expenses. Any asset (whether or not previously assigned to HRA), that was available to the deceased or any amount that a legally responsible relative (spouse or parent of a minor child) may have on the date of death is deemed able to pay, and any amount paid or to be paid by any other source, will be subtracted from the $900 payment, if the claim is determined eligible for payment. Any assets or resources left by the decedent on the date of death will be subtracted from the $900, if the case is otherwise determined to be eligible.


Address: Department of Social Services Burial Claims Unit
25 Chapel St 6th Fl Room 606
Brooklyn, New York 11201

Contact: Burial Intake Unit: (718) 473-8310
NYC Information/Hotline Number: (718) 557-1399
​Calls from inside New York City can dial 311


Cost / Fees: Free


For residents of the 5 boroughs of NYC for burial costs. The individual who makes the funeral arrangements or his/her representative must apply in person or send a notarized application within 60 days of death, have death certificate and then wait for approval from committee.